Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Soldier's Angel


I am a soldier's angel
In a war of words between worlds
About what is wrong
About what is righteous
I am a soldier's girl
It's 3:35 in the morning and I'm sitting down to type this with this song stuck in my head. Stevie Nicks wrote it after visiting veterans in a hospital. I hear it and I think not only of those battles our troops are thrown to but of the battles each of us play a part in. I'm a soldier in an army to keep peace among the abused, the neglected and the forgotten. 

I'm a soldier in their army
They are the soldiers of my heart
I try to make them smile again
Though it tears me apart
Their bravery leaves me spellbound
I try to be a small part
Of bringing them back again
They are the soldiers of my heart
Every damn day I see it. I close my eyes and I think back to all the people I've watched suffer. I think about the people I've pulled from the ashes. I remember the girl who was raped and ran to me for shelter. I remember the girl who's boyfriend thought she was a punching bag. I remember my own boyfriend throwing me down a hall when he was jealous for no reason. I remember seeing a child think that maggots in their home was something normal. I remember so much pain and suffering.

And I remember standing up to right those wrongs.

It's so much, though. It's so hard to be that rock. It's so hard to see all the pain and not want to do something and at the same time I think to myself: "Will there ever be an end to this battle?" It seems like I'm drawn to the suffering. If there are people in pain, if there are people who need protection or help, I find myself there.  

It's 3:42 in the morning and I'm still typing, a bit drunk from being tired. But I've never crawled into a bottle to hide. I've never taking drugs to numb the hurt. Because I'm a soldier.

I am a soldier myself
And no one walks away
From this battle

No comments:

Post a Comment